Sunday, January 12, 2003

Man Superior to Woman -- by A Gentleman, 1739


Man Superior to Woman;

OR, A

V I N D I C A T I O N

OF

MAN's Natural Right

OF

Sovereign AUTHORITY

O V E R T H E

W O M A N

Containing a plain Confutation of the fallacious Arguments of SOPHIA, in her late Treatise entitled, Woman not inferior to Man. Interspersed with a Variety of Characters, of different Kinds of Women, drawn from Life.

To which is prefix'd, a Dedication to the Ladies.

By a G E N T L E M A N.

You here in Miniature you Pictures see,
Nor hope from Zincks more Justice than from me.
My portraits grace your Mind, as his your Side;
His Portraits will inflame, mine quench your Pride.
He's dear, you frugal: choose my cheaper Lay,
And be your Reformation all my Pay. Young.

L O N D O N:
Printed for T. Cooper, at the Globe in Pater-noster Row.
1739.

.
.
.
(Whether the Superiority of the Men over the Women be not founded on something more solid than Custom and Prejudice.)
.
(In what esteem the Women are held by the Men, and how justly.)
.
(Whether Women are equal to Men in their intellectual Capacity, or not.)
.
(Whether the Women are equally qualified with Men for Government and Public Offices.)
.
(What Capacity the Women have for Sciences.)
.
(Whether Women are naturally qualified for Military Offices, or not?)
.
.